This is my rangoli for this year. It is again somewhat contemporary and different. I used chalk to make my outlines and then covered with the colored powders and added small detailing. For the diyas I did not use oil, instead I use battery operated tea lights.
Happy Diwali Everyone!
It has been a super busy weekend and I’m ready to sleep. I tried to do something simple but fun for tomorrow’s lunch for my daughter. The theme is The Princess and the frog.
Grilled cheese in the shape of Tiana’s dress, two frog shaped cucumbers, a forest of broccoli, some grape “rocks”, and a marshmallow with the cute lightning bug friend(it’s too late to remember his name and I’m too tired to even google.)
My daughter wanted to do something good for others and we found a worthwhile cause, the Special Olympics of New Jersey. She became an Ambassador for Special Olympics NJ. This past birthday instead of receiving gifts she asked if anyone would like to bring a gift to instead bring a donation for the Special Olympics. She has raised a few hundred dollars so far.
This coming October 20th, they will be hosting an American Girl Fashion Show at the local country club and proceeds will go to the Special Olympics NJ. Tickets go on sale Sept 2nd.
My daughter is a second year Daisy Girl Scout and her vest is quickly filling with badges and pins now. I’ve always had the frustration of seeing her pins rotate and be turned sideways or upside down. Today while sewing on her latest earned petal, I got the idea to try and correct those pins.
I’ve used a tiny piece of scrap felt and cut tiny squares out. Making certain they are small enough to hide behind the pin when on the fabric. I put one square through the back of the pin and then put the pin back in place on the vest.
This easy and simple trick worked perfectly and now all of the pins have stayed perfectly upright.
It should work for any metal pin including Girl Scout pins and also Disney Trading pins.
My daughter is in her second year of being a Girl Scout Daisy. She is on her way to learning the whole Girl Scout Law, which means earning her petal badges. I wanted to make her something cute to wear in her hair with her uniform vest. I’ve seen some cute hair clips and so decided to make my own version.
I used colors that matched as close as possible, and the colors are the numbers on the tape.
Then I cut small lengths about 2.5″-3″ of each color for the petals.
A small piece of cardboard was used for the Amazing Daisy center and covered with blue ribbon, then sewed onto the cardboard.
Each petal piece was looped and sewn in the middle with just two stitches to attach each petal, taking care to place each color in the correct order while going around.
I sewed the center in the middle and you could used either side for your top, depending on which look you like best.
Lastly I sewed the plain hair clip on the back.
This is my turn out:
A Daisy Hair Clip featuring ten petals which match each of the badge petals.
Lately it seems my daughter had been getting a lot of too big tee shirts from camp, functions and school. They fit but are a little too big and boxy looking. I wanted to give them a cuter look and then remembered a craft fair from when I was a kid and someone fringing tee shirts.
Well I decided to try it and it came out adorable and now it is retro cute!
This is how I fringed a tee:
First flatten a sleeve so the seem is even and then cut the seam off. Next cut each of the folded ends up to the shoulder seam. Start cutting fringe next up to the seam.
Repeat with second sleeve.
For the bottom, start by making the bottom hem even and cut it off. next fold the tee in half so you can cut through four layers at once. Then decide how long you want the fringe and put something at the stopping point so you will be able to make it even. Cut the fringe.
The shirt is done and can be worn, once it is washed it will have an even better fringed look as each piece with curl together, longways.
This week of my daughter’s Girl Scouts day camp went by so fast! I can’t believe tomorrow is her last day.
Tonight I’ve done a Cute Bugs Bento lunch for tomorrow.
There are two mini veggie burgers w/cheese (the ladybug and snail), black olives, sliced pickles, pretzels, string cheese (spider and ants), and three vegetarian (without gelatin) Marshmallows (lightning bug, caterpillar and bee.)
This whole week has been so fun making these lunches. Now I will have to think if I can keep this up and stay creative enough to do this through this coming school year…