Monthly Archives: June 2013

Clay faux fruit for American Girl dolls

Standard

My daughter’s American Girl dolls were in need of some more food now that they have their own kitchen, so we decided to try making some fruit. I bought sculpy clay from the craft store and used yellow for the bananas, orange for the oranges and red and green for the apples.

To make the apples I rolled clay into balls and then squeezed the bottom to make them look like apples and using a pick tool I made a hole in the top of each one and cut tiny sticks to insert as the stems. I pressed the clay around the stems to close the hole.

For the oranges I rolled clay into balls and textured with aluminum foil all over to give that pebbled look and feel.

The bananas I shaped yellow into long tubes and curved them. Next I pressed the top and bottom to look like the ends of a real banana. For the bunch I added five together and pressed the stems together. I added a little bit of green clay and rubbed along the sides. Also I used a tad of brown paint on my finger to color the top and bottom tips and here and there to make them look ripe.

I tried to make grapes but wasn’t happy with them, so I will redo them another time.

Lastly I baked all the fruit at 275 degrees on a piece of aluminum foil for 45 minutes.

My daughter and her dolls adore their new food. We also used some tiny jewelry boxes as holders for her fruit to keep in the icebox.

20130625-063701.jpg

20130625-063729.jpg

20130625-063741.jpg

20130625-063754.jpg

20130625-063803.jpg

Vintage Wolverine metal kitchen set revamped for American Girl dolls, retro kitchen

Standard

My daughter has donated shelves full of toys from her playroom to make space for creating a dollhouse for her American Girl dolls. I have been keeping an eye out here and there for things that might fit or make it special. One of the first things I came across was a vintage Wolverine metal kitchen set exactly doll sized online. I got it for a great bargain but it needed a little revamping. Since my daughter has a child sized version I bought her years ago and I fixed that one up, I knew what I was doing.

These metal kitchen sets from Wolverine were made approximately in the 1950’s, possibly early 60’s. Most have some degree of rust, especially on the shiny silver parts. This is the easiest to remedy, I purchased a silver leafing pen (really it is like a marker) and over the past few months as i would get time, I would paint the silver leaf over all the silver parts on the kitchen pieces. It covers rust and fading perfectly.

Since my daughter will be playing with these and we don’t know if the original paint is lead based or not, I’ve used a clear coat lacquer to cover all the painted areas. This not only protects my daughter but also preserves the original colors and designs.

It turned out fabulous and my daughter is enjoying it!

20130624-212133.jpg

20130624-212158.jpg

20130624-212217.jpg

20130624-212246.jpg

20130624-212309.jpg

20130624-212336.jpg

20130624-212353.jpg

20130624-212411.jpg

20130624-212505.jpg

20130624-212535.jpg

20130624-212552.jpg

20130624-212600.jpg